Joanna Parry is a highly experienced public servant. She is currently both an Uttlesford District and a Newport Parish Councillor. She is a resident of Newport and a former RAF Officer, administrator for a national charity and school governor.
“The current UDC administration is working to edicts passed down from central Government, regardless of the effect on the district. I stood and was elected in 2013 because I believe it is time for residents to take back control of what happens where they live.”
Joanna was elected to Uttlesford District Council in the Newport by-election of 2013.
Joanna Parry has been a resident of Newport since 2006, and has lived in Uttlesford since 1999. During that time she has served the community in a number of volunteer roles: as Clerk to a Parish Council and Primary School governing body, Governor and Trustee at Newport Free Grammar School, Newport Parish Councillor and District Councillor. She was also the founder of the Save Newport Village campaign against unsustainable development within the village.
Previously Joanna served as an officer in the Royal Air Force for five years before retiring to bring up her three sons – all of whom attended Newport Free Grammar School. After bringing up the boys, she returned to work as an administrator for a national charity. Lately she has been concentrating on her roles as Parish and District Councillor.
Joanna first became involved in local affairs when newspaper reports appeared of huge changes proposed for Newport – rebuilding the school elsewhere, building a supermarket on the site and adding thousands of new houses to pay for it all. This led initially to the founding of the Newport Village residents’ group, which has been successful in trying to make development in the village sustainable, and stop the re-siting of the school. However, she believes that there is still much to do.
Joanna stood and was elected to Uttlesford District Council in the Newport by-election in 2013. She was re-elected in 2015.
As a new District Councillor in 2013 it very quickly became apparent to her that problems similar to those faced by Newport were being faced by communities across Uttlesford. She believes that the current UDC administration is working to edicts passed down from central Government, regardless of the effect on the district. Joanna strongly believes that it is time for residents to take back control of what happens where they live.
- It’s been a privilege to represent Newport, Quendon, Rickling and Widdington – Jo Parry
- Resolving neighbourhood disputes as a community.
- Newport Cllrs tackling speeding and bridge strikes…
- “I’m often asked where I think the housing should go”…
- A seat at the table: R4U Cllr Jo Parry reports back
- R4U Cllr Joanna Parry: Delighted to be part of the New Plan group
- Cllr Joanna Parry: Santa over Uttlesford!
- Cllr Joanna Parry: “Where to build a social housing development?”
- Cllr Joanna Parry: Holding UDC on meeting the true housing need
- Cllr Joanna Parry: “People are working tirelessly for a better Uttlesford”
- Joanna Parry: We can achieve more as residents together, independent from national party politics