John was first elected in 2013. Since then he has worked hard to hold our councils to account on residents issues, including education and schools, proper transport infrastructure, saving The Croft Youth Centre, and of course pot-holes.
“The national political parties are forcing policies onto local residents that they don’t want and don’t need. It’s time politics became local once more and residents got to decide for themselves.” John Lodge
Previously John was Chief Executive of a FTSE company, and has been chairman and on the board of directors of many private and public organisations, including The Enterprise Council and a member of a Department of Health finance committee.
John is chairman of Residents for Uttlesford.
John Lodge was elected the Essex County Councillor for the Saffron Walden County Division in May 2013. He is also a Uttlesford District Councillor for the Saffron Walden Shire Ward.
John has been a resident of Saffron Walden for over 40 years and during that time he has served the community in a wide variety of volunteer roles. He has served as Chairman of a Parish Council, School Governor, Chairman of a Village Hall Committee, President of a Cricket Club, Committee Member of a Choral Society and a trustee of the charity funding the exciting new concert hall at SWCHS. He was also an Essex Ambassador at the London 2012 Olympics and Paralympics.
In the public sector he has recently served as a Non-Executive Director of Papworth Hospital NHS Trust where he was Chairman of its Charitable Capital Appeal. He is currently Chairman of the Embryonic Heart & Lung Research Institute which is a joint venture with Cambridge University.
In the commercial sector he has also served as Chairman of a restaurant group, a property company, an investment fund and medical device company. He has also been a Non-Executive Director of an enterprise council and a member of a Department of Health finance committee.
Previously he commuted from Audley End to London where he worked in a variety of IT roles in the finance industry with his final position as Chief Executive of a FTSE technology company.
John is a keen sportsman and plays cricket, rugby and golf for local clubs. He also sings with the Saffron Walden Choral Society.
He first visited Saffron Walden in the 1960s when he was a student in Cambridge; his wife and he chose to return when their children were young and his wife went on to be academic head of Bell College.
All of the time in the area has made them both great lovers and supporters of the Saffron Walden way of life and have inspired him to do whatever he can to protect it. Whilst he wishes to protect the Saffron Walden way of life, he is conscious that the town must progress. John believes that the way to achieve sustainable growth is to plan building and infrastructure in an integrated manner.
- R4U makes voter gains, wins Newport, but Conservatives regain Saffron Walden county seat
- You have enemies? Good. That means you have stood up for something.
- The state of Ashdon Road – Like a Warzone!
- Local parent and resident shares his family’s school transport story
- Uttlesford parents have no choice in state education provider and forced to pay thousands for transport.
- Is Uttlexit a possibility? Should we join South Cambs?
- Holding the ‘New’ Local Plan to account every step of the way…
- Sparrows End Roadworks moved to 1/2 Term – John Lodge
- Bizarre vote? Talk about it at the Community Cafe (Sat 10:30-Noon)
- UDC Planning Committee: R4U Councillors step up scrutiny
- Future developments in Saffron Walden escape education contributions…
- Don’t play ‘party politics’ with the local plan.
- Listening Post: Your improvements for the Wenden Rd Pedestrian and Cycle Way
- R4U are having a real effect in planning for the future.
- A ‘Hub’ at what cost?
- “A Woeful Highways Department”
- R4U call upon UDC to meet to address refugee crisis urgently.
- Press Release: R4U request for UDC Leader to retract untrue statement met with refusal
- Listening and building sustainable communities.
- Getting the job of local government done.
- Radical measures to make our roads safer…
- UDC Administration desperate to force though housing at all costs to democracy
- A new administration which listens to residents and cares for them.
- Today should be a crucial day for the future of Uttlesford
- R4U ECC Cllr John Lodge: Residents securing school places for their children
- R4U ECC Cllr John Lodge: The New Plan Working Group begins its task…
- ECC R4U Cllr John Lodge: Heeding Commons warnings on air quality
- ECC Cllr John Lodge: Youth Strategy must continue in 2015
- ECC Cllr John Lodge: Letter to the Editor….
- ECC Cllr John Lodge: A proper repair to Elmdon Lee Bridge
- John Lodge: UDC future funding a ‘Roller-Coaster Ride’
- John Lodge: ECC votes to oppose unsustainable Local Plans