10th June 2015, Uttlesford: Residents for Uttlesford (R4U), the local advocacy group for towns and villages, has announced its Shadow Cabinet at Uttlesford District Council.
“By creating a Shadow Cabinet we will provide stronger scrutiny of the Conservative administration and their policies, and for alternative views and programmes to be highlighted. We have an outstanding team that includes seasoned finance, legal, business and planning experts. In many cases their experience significantly outweighs that of the cabinet members they are shadowing.”
Cllr Lodge continued “We are happy to have secured 30% or more of the seats on both the important Planning and Standards Committees, good representation on the Local Plan Working Group and the Performance & Audit, and Scrutiny Committees. This will allow us to work as a constructive opposition in the interests of all the residents of the Uttlesford.”
- R4U Leader at UDC: John Lodge, former Chief Executive of a FTSE company, and a governor of Papworth Hospital.
- Communities, Leisure & Sport: Joanna Parry, ex-RAF officer, founder of Save Newport Village, and experienced councillor.
- Economy & Jobs: Paul G Fairhurst, successful repeat international entrepreneur and a managing partner of a respected law firm.
- Environment, including Planning & Public Transport:Dr Richard Freeman, with considerable experience in planning and running complex projects for high-tech businesses.
- Finance & Council Services: Neil Hargreaves, a chartered accountant and former accounts manager of an international reinsurance broker.
- Health: Aisha Anjum, a lawyer and finance professional who has also worked with the UN promoting human rights.
- Highways: Heather Asker, Current Saffron Walden Mayor and an experienced District and Town Councillor since 2007.
- Housing: Sharon Morris, former insurance underwriter who is an active campaigner on family issues.
- Schools & Education: Dr Barbara Light, part-time educational consultant and a former university lecturer. She is also the R4U Deputy Leader at UDC.
About Residents for Uttlesford
Residents for Uttlesford (R4U) is the local party of towns and villages. The party was formed by a number of residents’ groups in north Essex to provide a strong, independent voice for the views of the residents of the area. The party believes that on local issues locals should decide, not the Westminster party whip.
Uttlesford residents achieved substantial election gains in May 2015. Election successes were based on the group’s localism advocacy platform and the desire to create and implement long range strategic and sustainable plans for their area.
Residents for Uttlesford has 11 Uttlesford District Councillors and many Town and Parish Councillors. It is the Second Party at Uttlesford District Council and the first party at Saffron Walden Town Council.