Monday 26th January 2015, Saffron Walden: Residents-for-Uttlesford (R4U), the local advocacy party for towns and villages, has unveiled its manifesto for the upcoming district elections. Uniquely amongst other political parties, R4U has also announced a 2 week residents’ public consultation on the proposals.
Cllr John Lodge
In summary, the R4U manifesto policies say:
- Council Services, Local Government & Finance: We will be open, transparent and accountable to residents; we will be responsible and run services efficiently; we will be a strong voice for Uttlesford on policies and authorities that we can’t directly control.
- Economy & Jobs: We will support economic growth and employment inside Uttlesford and promote our district as a great tourist destination.
- Housing & Planning: Our planning will be driven by local housing needs, homes will be built to high environmental standards, and we will incorporate the infrastructure essential for our vibrant and growing communities.
- Environment: We will protect and enhance our built and natural environment, creating new green spaces, reducing pollution and improving sustainability.
- Health & Leisure: We will encourage healthy lifestyles and work to improve sport and leisure amenities and the provision of more healthcare facilities.
The full R4U manifesto is available for download on the party’s website at www.residents4u.org/manifesto/. The current 2-week consultation is open until Monday 9th February. Residents can submit comments on the R4U website at the link above.
About Residents for Uttlesford
Residents for Uttlesford (R4U) is the local independent party of north-west Essex towns and villages. Formed in 2014 by a number of residents’ groups, the party believes that on local issues residents should decide, not Westminster parties.
R4U leads Uttlesford District Council (UDC). It is the fastest growing local political movement in its district. In its first election in 2015 it became the second party at UDC. In 2017 it solidified its position with a further by-election gain with 60% of the vote. In the May 2019 Local Elections R4U gained majority control of UDC winning two-thirds of the seats. The result delivered the biggest loss of seats by any UK Conservative controlled council in the UK.
R4U’s success has been based on the desire to give local people a voice and implement long range strategic and sustainable plans for their area.
R4U also leads Saffron Walden Town Council, where under its stewardship the council has rebuilt finances, invested in community assets, and won multiple awards, including the best run council in Essex. It is a minority party on Great Dunmow Town Council.
Residents for Uttlesford can be found on the web at www.residents4u.org.