Monday 26th January 2015, Saffron Walden: Residents-for-Uttlesford (R4U), the local advocacy party for towns and villages, has unveiled its manifesto for the upcoming district elections. Uniquely amongst other political parties, R4U has also announced a 2 week residents’ public consultation on the proposals.
Cllr John Lodge
In summary, the R4U manifesto policies say:
- Council Services, Local Government & Finance: We will be open, transparent and accountable to residents; we will be responsible and run services efficiently; we will be a strong voice for Uttlesford on policies and authorities that we can’t directly control.
- Economy & Jobs: We will support economic growth and employment inside Uttlesford and promote our district as a great tourist destination.
- Housing & Planning: Our planning will be driven by local housing needs, homes will be built to high environmental standards, and we will incorporate the infrastructure essential for our vibrant and growing communities.
- Environment: We will protect and enhance our built and natural environment, creating new green spaces, reducing pollution and improving sustainability.
- Health & Leisure: We will encourage healthy lifestyles and work to improve sport and leisure amenities and the provision of more healthcare facilities.
The full R4U manifesto is available for download on the party’s website at www.residents4u.org/manifesto/. The current 2-week consultation is open until Monday 9th February. Residents can submit comments on the R4U website at the link above.
About Residents for Uttlesford
Residents for Uttlesford (R4U) is the local party of towns and villages. The party was formed by a number of residents’ groups in north-west Essex to provide a strong, independent voice for local people. The party believes that on local issues residents should decide, not politicians from Westminster parties.
R4U is the fastest growing local political movement in the district. In 2015 it became the second party at Uttlesford District Council. In 2017 R4U achieved further gains with a 60% share of the vote in a local district council by-election. Success has been based on the group’s desire to give local people a voice and implement long range strategic and sustainable plans for their area.
Residents for Uttlesford also has numerous Town and Parish Councillors. It is the largest party at Saffron Walden Town Council, where under its stewardship the council has rebuilt its finances, invested in community assets, and won multiple awards.
R4U can be found on the web at www.residents4u.org.